Sunday, February 15, 2015

"Not In Public"

"I don't care what you do, but..."

   I'm sure we all have them. The friends who 'accept' who we are without truthfully accepting it. The 'be who you are, just don't let me see it' type friends. May I just say, I would much rather be told that you 'disapprove' of me. The false acceptance that is given day to day is such a waste of time. First of all, I am NOT seeking your approval. I really couldn't care less that you're okay with the fact I've decided to live my own life. What do you want me to say? Thanks?

   Also, asking for me to hide isn't true acceptance. Who are you to me that I should hide behind veils for you? The most common thing I can think of that this is said about it sexuality. "I am totally cool with gay people. I just feel uncomfortable looking at it." Or well, something along those lines. Well guess what? I'm uncomfortable with you paying so much attention to my life. Personally, I don't care who you are - I hate watching PDA. That doesn't give me the authority to barge into someone's life and tell them to stop. If it is someone I know, than I'd just shut up and be happy for them. 

   Now, I appreciate not getting bagged on by these friends. But I mean... Don't ask me to hide who I am? You are not okay with something if you can't handle being around it. You may think that you are being a good friend, but understand how much it truthfully hurts. So many people are already ashamed of themselves. They don't deserve to have you be ashamed of them also. You may not be like a bully taking lunch money, but it's like  robbing someone of self confidence. This attitude forces someone into the shadows instead of allowing them to walk in the sunlight. 

Of course, this happens about much more than just sexuality. "I'm okay with *enter religion here*, but I don't think I could have a friend like that..." STOPPPP. You are no more holy than anyone else. Every religion believes that they are the enlightened ones. Can you imagine our world if none of these religious groups ever reached out to the others? We would all be so.. isolated. Befriending someone of a different religion or culture is NORMAL. Not everyone you meet in life will be exactly like you. So, don't ask them to be. 

So, there is my little personal rant. Try to take something away from it.

-Either be okay with something or not, don't lie about it. 
-Your approval won't change who I am or how I live my life.
-It is not your place to change someone. 
-The world does not exist to ascetically please you. 
-Why does love frighten you?
-Why does self expression frighten you?

No comments:

Post a Comment