Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Stop Me If You... No, Just Stop Me.

I. Am. SO. Tired.


With good reason, of course. Currently, I work two jobs and seven days a week; I volunteer on a few days as well. With the start of my senior year approaching rapidly, I take every opportunity to study or work on college applications. No matter how proactively I am using my time, the fact is, I am exhausted. Most people would ask for a day or two off, but I won't. I will spend every waking moment of mine consumed by activity.

Why? Society has turned me restless. (Yes, I'm blaming society for yet another issue. Maybe that is a sign that this community ought to step up its game.)

I mean, I have so much to do...
-Graduate high school
-Save money
-Find a way to pay for college tuition
-Get IN to a college
     -Make my resume 'spicy'
         -Join lots of clubs
              -Have leadership roles
         -Take advanced classes
              -PASS THE CLASSES
         -Score high on the ACT/SAT
              -Study for them NONSTOP
         -Write SO MANY ADMISSION ESSSAYS (plz make it end)
         -Show that I can work during the academic year
         -Get killer recommendations
               -Over extend myself for every teacher.
-Stay mentally sane
         -Fake it.


The list goes on and on. While yes, I put a lot of this pressure on myself, a prodigious amount comes from outside forces inculcating me with the fear of failure. The very idea of not being successful causes me to become aroused with panic. Therefore, I push myself (over a mental cliff).

I am nowhere near to the only kid stressing out over my future. In fact, USA Today reported that 27% of high school students have claimed extreme stress during the last school year. (55% claimed moderate stress.) So what is the root of why so many teens are stressing out?

From the moment that a child steps foot in school doors, they are placed in an overly competitive environment. It all starts with a gold star. During the first few years of schooling, teachers are commonly known to give out rewards to students who do something well; leaving students who preform average left out. Teachers look at this as motivation, students look at this as a competition. I was the student that would never be caught dead without the sticker by my name. It was embarrassing for students who did not receive one. Were they not as smart as their classmates? In elementary, the effects may seem harmless. However, when the mindset carries over into the student's life... it becomes a major problem.


"I have to be first in my class or I won't get into college!"
"If I don't get a 34 on my ACT than _________ has better chances of me at getting into _______ so I won't for sure!"
"A B?!? NOW I'LL NEVER GET INTO YALE!"-Blair Waldorf

You see my point? I'm all for being a high achiever. Yes, applying to colleges is incredibly stressful and competitive.
But it is not everything.

What really matters? Your mental health and your happiness matter so incredibly much. If you don't leave yourself time to sleep or just breath, then what good will any of your hard work do? Society has pit teenager versus teenager; and, it is time that we deconstruct that mindset. I can easily shine my brightest without worrying about how well everyone else is doing. In fact, I can probably shine brighter. I really do love everything that I do, but I am over-extending myself. I need to separate what I am doing for ME and what I am doing for a gold star.

We all get this one incredible life on Earth. Personally, I would rather spend mine enjoying every day instead of being consumed with stress. Parents, encourage your children to be THEIR best, not to worry when they're not the best. Children, don't only waste your youth consumed by thoughts of tomorrow. Remember to shake off the pressure society is placing on you, and decide for yourself who and where you want to be. 


No comments:

Post a Comment