Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Karen.

My faith in humanity was just awakened after what seems like eternal hibernation. Lounging around the front desk of the hotel I work at, I met a wonderful elderly women. (A women I had yet to learn the name of.) Whilst checking her in, she began telling me of her adventures at home. She claims she is nothing significant, just a measly Walmart employee. A few moments later she mentioned volunteering at the hospital because it MATTERS to her. As a fan of volunteer work, I commended her on her compassion for others. The world needs more people to step out and volunteer just to help. She stepped back from the counter and exited through the lobby doors. 

As I returned to my work, I glanced up to see her assisting a 92 year old women across the floor, smiling at me as they passed by. Later during the evening the original women, who I discovered is named Karen, returns to my desk. Immediately she begins the origin of her relationship with the 92 year old, Ms. Mary. 6 years ago the Ms. Mary was practically left widowed, causing her to be scared and alone. After just briefly meeting Karen, she began staying at her house. Now, 6 years later, they are best friends. This story may not come across as wonderful as it appears to me, but it really is.

So many of us live day to day treating the people we do know with spite out of comfort. This women treated a stranger with love and compassion, and has been rewarded because of it. The world needs more people like Karen.


No comments:

Post a Comment